Tuesday, February 23, 2010

WN1 Commitment

Marriage takes as much commitment as that of athletes who practice hours and hours each day to achieve their goals.

Getting married changes your life just as training to become and maintain the status of an Olympic athlete does. In both cases, you are commited to something and you promise yourself that you will never abandon what you are commited to. You trust in what you are doing and you always give your best.

Marriage is something I would put my commitment into as an athlete would her sport. The achievement in marriage is happiness on both parts, rather than gold. So marriage may be considered much more mature than sports in this way because the people involved have come to know that being better is not the key to happiness.

The commitment to love each other and make each other happy is much more important that self-discipline of the body in order to be better than another in my opinion. (However, lots of athletes do compete against themselves rather than concentrating on others.) Both commitments require perseverance, maturity and determination.

3 comments:

  1. And marriage last longer, or it should anyway. I mean I haven't seen all that many eighty year old olympic athletes, have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lasts*

    Hah no but come to think of it I haven't seen an eighty year old marriage myself. I think you overestimated the human life expectancy... or underestimated the age at which old people were married..

    ReplyDelete
  3. True enough I suppose, but how about a fifty year old olympic athlete? And I do realize that most marriages don't last that long, but hey, it's possible. And probably more likely than a fifty year old person taking a medal at the olympics.

    ReplyDelete