Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reading Aspirations

Upon being nudged into deciding a few more new novels to plan on reading this quarter, I began a search for some that would really capture me. My inquiries proved somewhat futile as I was recommended books that either didn't sound at all appealing or are ones that are not currently available to me. So, I began to look at the available books I could borrow, and found a couple that really excited me.
The first one was "Catch-22". It didn't catch my eye, no. Rather, I was in avoidance of the book seeing as how I've heard it was too difficult a read. I was under the impression it would be dull, actually, until someone had the courtesy of telling me otherwise. So I turned over the novel and on the back found the claim that it is "the funniest book ever written." Needless to say, I was intrigued. And after reading the first page, I decided to give it a try.
The second book I discovered is called "Dumbing Down Our Kids". The title itself yanked me towards it, as I think I am rather opinionated on America's society becoming particularly dumber. Yes, I think America is getting much, much dumber, despite whatever the Flynn Effect seems to say.
The third book I recalled I already own, and have been attempting to get to it for a while now. It is titled "The Film Club" and is a nonfiction book about a boy being allowed to drop out of school to instead watch more films more frequently. I purchased this book in the curiousity of how the experiment turned out.
I have very high hopes and somewhat high expectations for all of these books.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great list. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on all three. The last title I haven't heard of, but it sounds very interesting. I might borrow it if it's any good!

    ReplyDelete